What we recommend you to see in Čachtice

  • P1080176 copy2The Roman Catholic church – originally  a Gothic church was built by the army leader Ctibor I. in 1390. It had one church nave with big windows  and on the wall a small saddle tower with the dome. In the year 1680 the church was rebuilt, extended and turned into the baroque style. At present it has 10 big windows. The equipment consisted of 7 altars and a  pulpit. On the arcade choir is  a late baroque organ. Valuable  are baroque church doors  on the side  entrance from 1661. There are three tombs under the church. On the outside northern wall an original Gothic  window  was discovered in 1940. The church is  dedicated to St. King Ladislav.  In 1681 the  tower of the church had been built  but because of the wrong basement it was taken down in 1740 and the  new tower was built.  Baroque tower has four floors and in 1756 there were six bells in it.  For military purposes four  bells were taken from the tower in 1916 and  at present there  are five bells in the tower.  Under the  church tower there is  a tomb  with the coffins of more than fifty important burghers. Both church buildings stand in the stone fortress with loopholes which served well against smaler attacking groups.   Thre  are three entrances into the fortress . So called rough staircase is dated  on Rex Mathes 1496.  Medrzihorká (“In between hills”) gate  was renovated in 1594. Notable is  a stone arch bridge with the stairs to parish house  and a portal from 1697.
  • P1080158 copy5The Gothic chapel of St. Anthony – from 1330 stands on the south- eastern side from the church. There  are several visible  elements which resemble  Church buildings from the Grater Moravian period.  The chapel has  a small sanctuary  with the presbytery and  six ribs  which coincide on the top into the  vaulting of the stud with a triangle coat of arms.  In the  wall there  are two little  windows. The nave has a rectangular shape  and it has two bigger windows on eastern side.  The ceiling of the chapel is created by barrel vault with the stucco decoration  on the three pairs of pillars.  Above the  entrance is a wooden choir with painted pictures of  Virgin Mary, St. Stephan and St. Ladislav which brought there  from the castle chapel.   There is a little  four-leaves Gothic  window  and on  the shield of the chapel there is a stone cross.

  • The Čachtice castle – builder  of the castle was Kazimir from the House of Hunt -Poznányi of the Bína branch. The building of the oldest part was realised  between years  1263 – 1276. The castle is for the first time mentioned in 1276 when Kazimir´s sons Peter and Pongrac defended  it from the  attack of the Bohemian King Přemysl Otakar II. When the castle  was owned by  Országh de Guth a three floor chapel was built in it. The choir  from the castle is now in the Gothic chapel of St. Anthony.  Last additional construction works were realised by the Ország´s.  After the death of her husband the castle domain was inherited  by Elisabeth Báthory  who was later imprisoned in it  for her crimes.  She had lived isolated on the castle until 21st August 1614. In 1708 the castle burned  down during the armed attack and  nobody repaired it since then. The castle burned  down once more in 1799 but it was not inhabited  by people then. One part of the castle was  a prison from which there was no escape.
  • muzeumThe Renaissance Mansion – the seat of the museum stands on western side from the church fortress and it was built by the Croatian ban Draskovich in 1668. It is a two floor building with a visible central Bay. At the beginning of 18th century the building was obtained by the House of Forgách. Forách´s build two wings of the building – one on the south-western and other on north-western side of the building.  In the western part of the building a chapel was set up by the bishop Paull Forgách.  The chapel was blessed on 22nd October 1708 by the Nové Mesto provost  Nicolas Lipai. The last private owners was the family of Czenkay. Between years 1945 – 1958  building was repaired by the state resources. Two wings which were  built by the Forgách´s had been deleted, the altar stone from the chapel is embossed into the wall on the left side under the gate. Today the building is managed  by the Museum of Trenčín and there is the Museum  of Čachtice in the first floor.
  • The Orságh´s mansion – it stood on the place  where the Drughet´s Courier´s Station is today.  Only one piece of wall was preserved and this proves that the the building had  a floor since  stone cantilevers were  preserved there. One of the owners – Ladislav Országh loved viticulture. The prove of his relation to wine is  also climbing vine which was carved out into the stone windows and doors rims of the mansion. One of these stones is built into the bridge leading into the castle fortress /on the right side above the staircase/. The mansion is mentioned  as the Palace of the Court. Decisions   about the life  and death of defendants were made there. Description of the building did not preserved.
  • The Drughet´s Courier Station – is a one floor renaissance building built at the beginning of 17th century as  a smaller countryside seat for aristocracy.  It was built by the count Georghe Druhghet from Humenné, husband of Catherine Nadasdy. Later it was obtained by Andrrásy´s family  and Jesensky´s family. The building  has the “U” shape. Above the entrance portal in the central part  is the Coat of Arm´s of Drughet´s family.
  • nadazdy_kastiel
    The Nadasdys´ Mansion – called also Emperor´s  Mansion, had after finishing of the floor plan the “U” shape. Even the picture of the mansion had  not preserved we have the description of the castle Capitan Paul Kardosz from 1645. The mansion had 46 rooms – two  big halls from which one in the new part had as many as 13 windows.  There were aristocracy living rooms and sleeping rooms, the treasury,  two dining rooms, kitchen, bakery, room for servants and stores.  There were 5 cellars in the mansion and extensive labyrinths under the garden. There  were  fruit and flower gardens around the mansion and a vineyard behind it. Elisabeth Báthory lived  ther with her husband Francis Nadasdy II and committed part of her crimes there when she had stayed there. In 1662 the mansion burned down but it was repaired once more. After the death of Francis Nadasdy II /1671/, who was sentenced to death penalty because of the  anti – Habsgbourgh plot the property was taken over by the state. Part was rented to Revay´s and Draskovicz´s  family. Later, in 1695,  the Royal Chamber  sold the property  to Christopher Erdódy. The last owner of the empty castle was the landowner Springer.  The stone cellar was preserved and it serves to Čachtice Cooperative for storage of wine. On the northern side there  are remains of the outside wall wit the battlement  which formed the fence.
  • The Roman Catholic Parish House – is situated  close to the church. Originally one floor building stands on ancient basement.  At the time of  priest Josef Urbanovsky II. before  1847 it was made higher by one floor.   In those  years the priest built also a chapel in the courtyard and farm buildings. The parish house is  a national cultural monument. On 10 August 1847 the  memorable  fourth assembly  of Tatrin took place there.  On 6 August 1933 a memorial plate reminding this important event  was exposed on the Parish House. On the occasion of celebration of  150 anniversary of Tatrín a new memorial plate  was placed under the Parish House.

mariansky_stlp

  • Baroque Marian Column  – from the year 1742 stands on the square. In the first half of 18th century  inhabitants of Čachtice had suffered much by the raids of various armies and bunches of  former soldiers, epidemics and natural disasters which were represented  in the times of small  clay and wooden houses namely  by the  two disastrous  elements – water and  fire. In relation to the  Column of Virgin Marry this element was fire. There were 30  disastrous  fires in nine years. Also the church roof get burned on 15th April 1723. It was obvious  that fires around the year 1738 were started by somebody on purpose. People were very scared and prayed for the end of disasters and  in the  year 1741   under the priest Josef Mackovich people gave a solemn promise – to participate every  year on the pilgrimage to Šaštín  and to ask there Mother of God there  for preventing  the village from frequent  fires. To emphasise their decision  citizens gave to built the column dedicated to Mother of God. On  the front side of the column  there is an inscription /chronostikon/. It says in latin “To the honour of the Virgin and Mother decorated  by stars   dedicate citizens in nine years thirty times affected by fires.” Marian column is a rare Baroque historical monument.
  • barokova golgotaBaroque Golgotha – from the year 1620. It was ordered and built by Judith Révay, daughter-in-law of Elisabeth Báthory as an askance for forgiving of sins committed by her mother in law by torturing of innocent girls.

zvonica

  • The bell tower-the death knell – from 18th century stands close to the western wall of the church above the route. Its voice could be heard in the times of plague, cholera, fires  and other disasters.
  • podzemie_3Čachtice Underground –At present 150 meters of corridors  are accessible. They come  from 16th century and from Orságh family period when viniculture started to develop here. When Elisabeth Bathory came here, majority of cellars  was already existing. It is said that these labyrinths  were  further improved by Habans who found shelter and prayed in Čachtice underground. Habans called also Baptists found shelter in Čachtice in 1621. They were received on the Čachtice domain by the Garvey and landlord Paul Nadasdy, son of Elisabeth Bathory. Under the Nadasdy´s garden were the most spacious underground cellars. One of the legends  says that Čachtice Bloody Lady,  when she  was  afraid of justice for her nasty acts, ordered to built an underground corridor from Nove  Mesto to Čachtice. This then led to Častkovce,  Podolie, Očkov, Krakovany and as far as to Vrbové. We do not know if this legend is based on truth or not. Catacombs, called  also labyrinths, were digged out in the yellow earth – clay, had smooth walls and were  decorated by the Roman  and  the Gothic vaults. Several drawings and sketches of the large labyrinth have been preserved. In the Čachtice Museum hangs a  reproduction  of a map of  spectacular underground spaces. These underground spaces  were also used  later during the World War II as  bomb shelters.
  • The Wine Cellar of the Agricultural Cooperative Farm –  it is situated on the  historically important place. Originally the Nadasdy´s mansion stood there. From the mansion only parts of the perimeter  walls and one wine cellar remained preserved. The cellar is used for wine production by the Agricultural Cooperative Farm. Viticulture has  a long tradition in the village itself and dates back to Roman times. Viticulture went through its biggest development in the times of the “Čachtice Lady”, Elisabeth Báthory and red wine from Čachtice conquered also the empress court of Maria Theresia. Agricultural Cooperative builds now  on a  long tradition of  viticulture and at present  production is limited   by a series of quality vines of its  own production. Wines can be purchased directly in the wine cellar of  the Agricultural Cooperative Farm on Fridays between 8 a.m to 18 p. m. or in the  Agricultural Cooperative Farm shop on Malinovského street 595 in working days from 7 a. m to 3:30 p. m.